Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bad Drinks

I went to see Ben Folds in NYC last night. It was the 5th or 6th time I've seen him in concert. Just like every other time, it was life changing. The opening act was Missy Higgins. I strongly recommend listening to her music- she's going to be huge. And Ben's new stuff = awesome. Ben is going to be on Conan O'Brien tonight with Regina Specktor. You can bet that I'm going to DVR it.
So anyway, I go to the bar to get some drinks. I order my new favorite- Absolut Ruby Red with Cranberry. At $9 it should be fantastic. I bring it back to where I was standing, take a sip and almost puke. It tasted minty at first. Strange. Being someone who believes that you shouldn't waste alcohol- especially Absolut- I try to choke it down. But after a few sips, I really can't take any more. It was actually hurting my stomach. It was like drinking toothpaste. But I don't want to go to the bar tender and complain. I take one more sip and decide that I really can't drink that, so I summon my courage and go back to the bar.
"I ordered an Absolut Ruby Red with Cranberry, and this tastes minty or something." I say. The bartender says (kind of smugly), "I don't know what you're taking about. I'm make you a little cup of exactly what I made and you can taste it." She sniffs the Absolut and pours a little into a glass. Then squirts some Cranberry in and takes a sip herself. Then she makes an awful face and spits it out. "Oh God," she said. "I know!" I replied. "I'm really not one to waste alcohol. That is intolerable." After making the other bar tenders drink it, she decides that the Cranberry from her quick shoot is not right. So I had another drink from another quick shoot. The first drink tasted so bad that I was unable to get that taste out of my mouth for a few hours.
But Ben totally rocked my socks, so it was totally awesome!

No comments: