Saturday, February 23, 2013

Meet Maggie

We decided to try our hand at being foster parents. Foster dog parents, that is. Last week, I went to an adoption clinic for Peppertree Rescue to learn about fostering. I found out about a dog, Margaret (or Maggie) who was in need of foster placement. Maggie is an 8 year old hound mix. Her personality sounded pretty similar to Quincy. Andrew and I discussed it for a few days and decided to go for it.

We had planned to meet Maggie today, and if she and Quincy get along, I would bring her home. However, Andrew was working today. I was more than a little intimidated about the idea of bringing Quincy to the pet store, then coming home with 2 dogs in the car- I envisioned all sorts of calamities that range from dogs fighting in the back of the car to a firey car accident from the dogs knocking me unconscious from wrestling. So, to alleviate some of the stress involved, my amazing mom came up to help me for the afternoon (what a trooper!!).

My mom and I arrived at PetsMart as planned. We were the first of the group to get there. Maggie has a sister who was also being placed in a foster home. Quincy was howling and barking at other dogs- that little muffin loves the per store! After a few minutes, I saw Maggie arrive- I recognized her from her pictures. Quincy thought it was just great- he wanted to run and play. The paperwork took several minutes, and Maggie was getting anxious and pulling. To simplify things, we put Quincy in the car while Maggie's dad said good-bye.

When it was time, we opened up the back door to put Maggie in the car. Quincy did not understand why this stranger was getting in the car. So, he got all pissed off and jumped into the front seat. He refused to get in the back once my mom and I got into the car. He thought he would just be able to pout on Schmoopy's lap the whole ride home. Well, that boy was so stubborn, we couldn't get him into the back seat. So my mom just decided the best plan would be for her to ride in the back with Maggie.

Once we got home, we immediately went to the back yard so the dogs could run and play off leash. They were doing well, but then Quincy jumped off of the picnic table and hurt his leg- poor guy! We gave him one of his prn medications for his arthritis, and we took the party inside.

Andrew had a quick break this afternoon, so he stopped by the house to meet Maggie. She just melted! She climbed into his lap and fell asleep! She was not a happy girl when he had to go back to work. I bet she will be tickled pink when he gets home tomorrow morning!

The only problem so far has been the cats. Maggie was around cats when she was younger, but hasn't seen a cat in a while. Maggie saw Tiny sleeping on the bed, and she soooo wanted to play with her. The feeling was not mutual. Roxy was under the bed growling. I pulled Maggie out of the bedroom, and let the cats just chill in there. Last check, they were still hiding. Hopefully, calmer heads will prevail in the morning.

For the past hour or so, I have been surrounded by snoring dogs.

This is what I was hoping for. Hopefully Maggie and the cats will mellow out in the next day or two. I feel good by volunteering my time, home and love to help out this sweet girl. As I'm typing this, Maggie is sitting to my left and dreaming away- her little legs are twitching! :-)

If you know anybody in the Albany area that is interested in adopting a wonderful, playful, loving girl, tell them to contact Peppertree!

For now, Welcome to your temporary home, Maggie! We're glad to have you!

No comments: