Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snowpocalypse 2013

The predictions were calamitous. Up to 2 feet of snow... Falling at a rate of 2-3 inches per hour. I was dreading looking outside this morning at 4:45 when Andrew's alarm went off (he got up extra early to allow time for shoveling and a slow commute in the storm). We were pleasantly surprised to find a mere 6 inches!! It only took like 10 minutes to get his car out. I was still worried about Andrew driving all the way to Schenectady, and I was not looking forward to sitting in the house waiting for him to call me to let me know he made it safely. So I shoveled out my car and sidewalk. But that only took a few minutes. There are some elderly people who live on my street- a couple in their 70s lives 4 houses up, and a man probably in his 80s lives 4 houses down. So, to occupy my time, I shoveled their houses out, and shoveled all of the houses in between. Yup. I shoveled from #14 to #28.

But, Albany had issued a snow emergency, which meant that at 8pm, all cars would have to be parked on the even side of the street. Then at 8pm tomorrow, all cars move to the odd side of the street. I spent my morning dreading that. Our road is a one way street with parking only on the odd side of the street. This means that tonight, in the cold and wind and dark and snow, I will have to fight with my neighbors for a parking spot on the even side of the street. But, while taking Quincy for a walk today, we found a miracle! I saw an open spot on the even side of the road around the corner. The spot was full of snow and had not been shoveled. So I moved my car from it's fully shoveled spot, but decided that I would get stuck if I tried to move into the new spot without shoveling it first. So I drove back to my shoveled spot, and walked over to the new spot to shovel that. Once my new spot was shoveled out, I ran as fast as I could back to my car so I could occupy it before some stranger swooped in and stole my newly shoveled spot. Whew!! Made it! But I did more shoveling so the new spot was as clean as my old spot. Then, I came inside only to see that the snow emergency has been lifted! So much shoveling!!

For the rest of the day, it's just me, Quincy and hot cocoa!

1 comment:

breliggan said...

That was very sweet of you to shovel the elderly out and over zealous to do everyone in between.