Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Work Stress

I recently switched houses within the agency I work for. I switched from an adult home to a children's home. I was a little afraid that I made the wrong decision when I agreed to switch. I completely fell in love with the consumers at the original house I was at. I miss them every day. I also became very good friends with the LPN that I worked with. It was strange, because she trained me how to do my job, then I became her supervisor. But somewhere in that transition, we became friends. And she is a VERY good nurse. I personally think she should go back to school for her RN. She is smart, dedicated and capable. She could easily excel as an RN and make an additional $9/hour.
But I do love the children I work with now. I was surprised how quickly I became attached to them. And the other staff I work with are amazing. I've been there a week and a half, and I already feel like they would bend over backwards to help me out with anything.
Today, I realized that I made the correct decision. A supervisory staff member at the house I used to work at snapped at the LPN when I was with her today. This person was not my boss, but she is one of the LPN's bosses (the LPN's have an interesting set up where they work under both the RN and the house manager). I was able to hear EVERYTHING that was said to the LPN, and none of it was nice, professional, or appropriate. There is NO need to talk to someone the was the house manager spoke to the LPN. She was obviously upset and is now uncomfortable to go to work tomorrow and be alone with this person.
I can't say that I blame her. I'd feel the same way if I was in her place. I will be there to help her as much as I can. And I will stand up for her, because the issue was something that occurred when I was still at that house.
However, I am very happy that I am personally removed from that negative situation.
Don't get me wrong, I really do love my job. I just prefer to work in a positive environment. Check out this commercial that used to be on tv in Boston and you'll know what I mean.

(Not that I'm advocating Comcast, but I think we've all been in situations similar to that).
I mean it's never actually been quite that bad, but I don't want that to be my workplace. Here's to the weekend!

No comments: