Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why I do what I do

I have been super frustrated at work lately. It's like I walk into the house and instantly by blood pressure jumps like 40mmHg and I'm about the angriest person you'd ever meet. I'm not the angry person in front of the kids- I pretty much take whatever they throw at me- but once the kids are at school it's like Mr. Hyde comes out.
Anyway, the kids are getting ready for school this morning and I go into the living room to see what's going on and how the kids look before school (I get upset if the kids go out of the house looking messy). This one little guy, we'll call him Sam, is just sitting in his wheelchair listening to music. Just sitting. That is very unusual for Sam because he loves music- especially music with a beat. He usually listens for a second then starts clapping and dancing along. So it was funny to see him sitting there with his hands on his tray- not even tapping along with the NSYNC song blaring behind him.
I walk up to him and say, "What's going on, Sam?" as I put my hands on top of his hands. He looks at me, smiles, grabs my hands and starts making me dance along with the music- laughing and singing.
As the song ends, I say, "So what did you think of that song?" And Sam takes both of my hands, puts them to his cheeks and squeezes- like he was making my hands hug his face- and says, "I like that song."
I melted. And it hit me. That's why I love my job. That's why I LOVE working with this population. I love those kids.

No comments: