Thursday, March 20, 2008

When did I become a Grown-Up?

Yesterday, we got together with some of my family who lives in the area to celebrate Andrew's 24th birthday. We went to The Sunset, our favorite bar/restaurant. The have 112 beers on tap, yet I always go for my "old faithful," Sea Dog Blueberry (with fresh blueberries in it- YUM!!). Andrew enjoyed a Mead- a honey drink fermented with yeast. It pretty much tastes like honey but gives you a good buzz. Plus, the food isn't bad either. I had a BBQ Pulled Pork Quesadilla- and for the record, it was awesome.
But 24, WOW! That means that I'll be 24 in August. When, how did we grow up? I remember my 14th birthday like it was yesterday. I had long, blond hair, we went to Williams Lake, I wore a blue bathing suit and overalls, my Aunt Wendy was visiting from California, we went back to my parent's house for cake and we ate it in a screen tent, then Sasha, Debbie and I went to see My Best Friend's Wedding at the Rosendale Theater. In fact, Andrew was barely on my radar until a month later. But I knew, at that birthday party...I had a gut feeling that something was going to change. I could sense that things were different. Who knew that I was about to start dating the person who I would be spending the rest of my life with.
And tomorrow we're going to meet with a realtor to start looking at houses. HOUSES! We're getting ready to buy a house! I am not worried that we're getting in over our heads, actually. We're pretty responsible. We can handle our finances and we've been saving a TON of money. It's just such a big step. Once we own a home, there's no going back. That's a real sign that we're adults.
There are some things that, no matter how grown-up, you should still find time to do from time to time.
1. Come down with a serious case of the giggles
2. Look for shapes of animals in the clouds
3. Spin in circles until you're so dizzy that you fall down
4. Make funny faces at yourself in the mirror
5. Keep trying new things- who knows where you;ll find your hidden talents
6. Set seemingly unreachable goals and wholeheartedly try to reach them
7. Be the person who you really want to be
8. Make sure that you always tell yourself the truth
9. Let yourself enjoy the things that you used to (hence my DVD collections of the Muppet Show and Dawson's Creek)
10. Tell the people who you can't live without that you can't live without them

So here's to forging ahead but still keeping true to yourself! And Happy Spring!!
Photobucket

No comments: