Monday, February 4, 2008

I think the cd is complete

I think I have selected songs that will be appropriate and interesting to an 8 year old. It was much harder than I thought. Some people didn't think this was a good idea, but I never listed to kids music. Growing up, I always listened to real music. And I started buying my own music when I was like 10 or 11, so I tried to pick some stuff that I liked when I was young. Here's the songs that I think will be ok.


music player
I made this music player at MyFlashFetish.com.

Just a few things: 1. I know that The Who sing is actually called Baba O'Riley, but the only version that I could find to put on my blog has it titled Teenage Wasteland, so I do not need all the comments correcting that issue.
and 2. The Eve6 song is a live version on here, and I plan to have the studio version on the cd.

What do you think?

2/5/08 Edited to add:
It's true- I have always listened to "adult" music. I remember driving my mom crazy when I was maybe 8 or 9 by listening to a Bonnie Raitt tape over and over again in her car. I fell in love with The Beatles in 6th grade (when I watched the Beatles Anthology on tv), and I was in 7th grade when I was hooked on Oasis. I bought all of my Nirvana cds used when I was like 11 or 12. This might also be better illustrated by my vast concert experience. I went to my first concert when I was 2 (Jackson Browne), saw Frank Zappa a few years later, saw Meatloaf numerous times before I was in high school (the first time being when Bat Out Of Hell II came out- which was 1993 so that would make me 8 or 9 years old), saw the Counting Crows and the Wallflowers in like 1995 or 1996, was very upset that I couldn't go with a friend to see Bush in (I think 1996 or 1997) because it was the same weekend as the Street Festival, saw Bob Dylan when I was in 8th grade (and happened to be sitting right behind my English teacher!), also saw Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty that same year, went to my first "festival" concert the summer before high school featuring Dishwalla, The Flys, Marcy's Playground, Joan Osbourne, Goo Goo Dolls (saw them twice in 1 year), and Third Eye Blind, the list goes on...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

All kidding aside, I think many of the songs you picked are highly inappropriate for an 8 year old. I understand you sentiment, but an 8 year old is a child, plan and simple. Ultimately, I guess it is up to his parents to make that call. And, I think if you think a little harder, you were probably closer to high school age before you listened to rock music....

Anonymous said...

i would have to listen to each song to decide but all and all it would be up to the parents. with their approval the songs are classic.

Breanna said...

I forgot to have Daryl look it over. I'll ask him to tonight. And I really don't think the wiggles would fly with Gavin. Even Laura's outgrown them.